Monday, September 1, 2014

Sourdough Starter

 

Day 1 4:50pm: Adventure begins.

Day 2 5:39pm: No activities

Day 3 6:57am:  Just 12hrs after adding new ingredients, got a good rise! Feeling happy, I stirred the mixture down!

 

Day 3 5:17pm:  After stirring it down in the morning, activities subsided. I went ahead to change flour to all-purpose.

Day 4 10:00pm:  Not much activities.  Feeling depressed. Finally decided to feed it once more. This is right after feeding. Day 5 5:20pm:  Hurray! The starter is not dead yet.  It doubles in size!

 

This is a new adventure.  Combining patience, frustration and excitement.

Instruction source:  Peter Reinhart’s Bread Baker’s Apprentice

Conclusion:   Persistence, stick to the plan is the key.  Unsweetened pineapple juice – the only type I can get here is from concentrates.  Don’t know if it worked the way it supposed to.

After Day 5, I fed it once and it spilled over the jar on Day 6.  I cleaned it up, fed it and when it doubled in size, I put it in the fridge.

I planned to feed I every 3 days.  Ration is 1:2:2.  i.e. 2oz starter:  4oz flour: 4oz spring water. 






No comments:

Post a Comment